Founded in 1992 by Peter Loughrey, Los Angeles Modern Auctions (LAMA) is the first auction house to specialize in selling 20th century Modern Art & Design.
LAMA holds up to three auctions a year, plus occasional exhibits that are open to the public. For the casual buyer to the most dedicated collector, LAMA auctions offer quality, vetted modern material in every price range, including paintings, prints, furniture, and decorative objects. LAMA is source, and serves as a meeting point, for high quality works of art, practiced knowledge, and professional relationships in the realm of Modern Art & Design. With more than 20 years of experience, LAMA has carved a niche in the international market through milestone auctions featuring artists and designers such as Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, Pablo Picasso, Alexander Calder, George Nakashima, Mike Kelley, Ettore Sottsass, Charles & Ray Eames, Paul László, and R.M. Schindler. LAMA has also conducted auctions for prominent California estates, including those of Max Palevsky, Linda Sullivan, Dalzell Hatfield, James Byrnes, Richard Dorso, Julius Shulman, Richard Neutra, and James Prestini. From a single work of art to an entire estate, LAMA is the premier auction house on the West Coast to buy and sell Modern Art & Design.
Auction Day, February 23, 2014 Modern Art & Design Auction
Director of Modern Design & Fine Art
Peter Loughrey is an established curator, trusted consultant, and a well-recognized expert in Modern Design & Fine Art. He is a prominent figure in the Los Angeles Modern Art & Design community through his involvement at LACMA as a member of the Decorative Arts and Design Acquisition Committee and Contemporary Friends, as well as his contributions to TASCHEN books. Not only is he a repeat appraiser on PBS’s “Antiques Roadshow”, but he has also been featured on Forbes’ “Sold!” on Ovation TV, Fox Business’ “Strange Inheritance,” and Fortune.com.
Peter co-curated many Los Angeles gallery shows, including Gio Ponti: Furnished Settings & Figuration (2004) and Dutch Design (2005), both at ACME Gallery, in addition to co-curating and publishing the exhibition catalogue for Gaetano Pesce: Pieces from a Larger Puzzle at Los Angeles’s Italian Cultural Institute (2010). He has also written numerous articles and was a contributor in the books Case Study Houses (TASCHEN 2003), Julius Shulman Modernism Rediscovered (TASCHEN 2007), and Collecting Design (TASCHEN 2010).
Peter is not only the gateway to important collections, but in many instances he has helped build these collections. His own experience, expertise, and influence in this field allow Peter to work for the consignor and buyer, satisfying both of their individual needs.
- This L.A. Auction House isn’t only for experienced collectors – Fortune
- Why it’s a great time to be buying collectible art – Fortune
- Peter Loughrey on KCALTV
- Peter Loughrey’s Appraisals on Antiques Roadshow
- Artelligence Podcast: Peter Loughrey
- Los Angeles Modern Auctions sets record with Asawa, Nakashima works
- Ventura Blvd Magazine / Life in the Round / The Loughrey Home
- LA Times Home Section Front Page: The Loughrey Home
- LA Times Home Section: 20th Anniversary Auction
- L.A. Auctioneer Peter Loughrey on Mixing Art and Design, Artspace
- Thoroughly Modern Milieu
- William Haines’ custom designs from 1960 to be auctioned
- LAMA Auction of the Estate of Max Palevsky in The LA Times
- LAMA in NY Times
- How Pacific Standard Time Transformed the Market for California Minimalism