Los Angeles Modern Auctions (LAMA) Finalizes the Offerings for the May 23rd Modern Art & Design Auction
Van Nuys, California – Los Angeles Modern Auctions (LAMA) is pleased to announce the final selection of lots to be offered in the May 23, 2010 Modern Art & Design Auction. The sale features 447 lots of Art, Design and Decorative Arts from 1920 to present with a total auction estimate of $2.3-3.3million.
Peter Loughrey, Director of LAMA:
“I have never been more proud of the items that we are offering in our sale. We have many lots coming on the market for the first time from private collectors and estates.”
Included are items from the estate of A. Quincy Jones, a world-renowned architect, and his wife, Elaine K. Sewell Jones, who was a publicist for Herman Miller. “Anyone who had the pleasure of visiting this extraordinary power couple of modern design in their home will surely recognize many of the offerings in our auction”, says Loughrey.
- A. Quincy Jones’ own desk, custom designed for his office circa 1949 (est $2,000-3,000)
- Julius Shulman vintage photographs of A. Quincy Jones buildings (est $2,000-3,000 each)
- Charles & Ray Eames designed “Hang-it-all”, a gift from Ray Eames (est $2,000-3,000)
Further, there are several items from the private collection of GLC Art Co. LLC, Gerard L. Cafesjian, President, has spent over 40 years compiling his outstanding art collection. Mr. Cafesjian opened the Cafesjian Center For The Arts in Yerevan, Armenia, is a well-respected, yet intensely private collector. Michael Kimmelman of the New York Times writes on the museum website and its collection, is “…one of the most spectacular museum buildings to open anywhere…”.
Peter Loughrey says “Mr. Cafesjian’s collection is one of the most impressive collections I have seen. I am truly honored to be representing these works from his private collection. This is an incredible opportunity for our buyers to own an item from his private collection – whereas most of his holdings are committed to his landmark museum and cultural center”.
- Andy Warhol suite of ten “Electric Chairs” screenprints (est $150,000-200,000)
- Francois-Xavier Lalanne “Rhinoceros Bleu” (est $25,000-35,00)
- Francois-Xavier Lalanne pair of seated monkeys “Singes Attentifs” (est $100,000-125,000)
- Victor Vasarely oil on canvas “DVA-DVA” (est $80,000-120,000)
The auction will be held Sunday, May 23rd at 12pm (PST). Preview will run from Saturday, May 15th thru May 22nd (daily) from 10-6pm at the LAMA showroom: 16145 Hart St. Van Nuys, CA 91406